OK, ok, usually, USUALLY, I am all about the healthy. Even given that this is a blog all about pizza (which gets a bad health rap, in my opinion), I keep it pretty clean. Fresh veggies for toppings, lean meats, you know BALANCE.
And it is this last word, “balance” that is the theme of today’s post and why I am created a recipe for a S’mores Pretzel Pizza. Our diets, like our lives, are all about balance. Too many salads and you may be fogging up the pastry window at the local bakery. No one needs that. Especially not the bakery staff.
So, to keep everyone happily balanced and off the bakery shelf, I offer this S’mores Pretzel Pizza.
A little bit about this pizza:
- It’s perfect for summer time. I mean, I did say “S’MORES,” right??
- It has that beloved sweet and salty flavor combination from the addition of tiny pretzels.
- It’s so easy to make.
- Kids LOVE it. And when I say they love it, I mean they love it more than regular s’mores.
Imagine this scenario:
You: Hey, little Billy, you wanna make s’mores pizzas tonight at the BBQ?
Little Billy: *screams of wild delight*
Trust me, I’ve seen it happen. You just mentioned two things that children dearly love: pizza and s’mores.
Before, I get into the recipe, I want to offer a few tips on working with melted chocolate. In a past life, I used to teach truffle making classes, so I’m an expert at heating chocolate to all temperatures.
If you cook chocolate in the oven for too long, it burns. It’s really sad and no one wants to eat burned chocolate. Not even kids.
To avoid this you can do one of two things:
- Melt your chocolate separately and drizzle it on after the pizza cooks.
- Put the chocolate on about half way through the cooking process. Less time in the oven = no burning.
I usually choose option 2 because it involves fewer steps, but I’ll let you decide. If you are making this pizza on the grill, you don’t have to wait to put the chocolate on there because the cooking time is much shorter.
Is all this clear? Let me know in the comments and let’s get to the recipe!Print
This S’mores Pretzel Pizza is as fun to make as it is to eat! Keep the summer going with this salty and sweet dessert pizza that puts the best of campfire snacks on a pizza!
- Preheat your oven to 500°F.
- If using a pizza stone, allow it to heat in the oven for 3o minutes before baking on it. If you’re not using a stone, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drizzle the parchment paper with a little olive oil. No need to preheat in this case.
- Stretch your dough onto a pizza peel dusted with flour.
- Top with 1 cup of mini marshmallows and 1 cup of mini pretzels.
- Slide your pizza into the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- After this time, open the oven up and carefully sprinkle on the chocolate chips.
- Close the oven and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the chocolate is melted.
- Remove from the oven and add a sprinkle of flaky sea salt if desired.
Chocolate will burn if baked too long in the oven. To prevent that, top with chocolate halfway through the baking process, or melt your chocolate separately and drizzle over the finished pizza.
Want to grill this pizza? Check out pizza grilling instructions here.
Keywords: dessert pizza, s'mores pizza, chocolate covered pretzels, s'mores, salty and sweet, campfire pizza