This pizza recipe uses fresh tomatoes to give an in-season kick to a classic margherita pizza.
2 pints whole cherry tomatoes, roasted or fresh
1 jar crushed tomatoes
1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, torn
1 tsp salt, divided
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh basil (as much as you’d like)
1 recipe sourdough pizza dough
- Heat your oven to 500°F.
- If you’re using a pizza stone, allow the stone to heat up in the oven for at least 30 minutes before baking on it.
- Stretch out one of the pizza dough rounds onto a pizza peel dusted with flour, or onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (if not using a pizza stone).
- Spoon the crushed tomatoes (just a thing layer will do) on top of the stretched out dough.
- Place pieces of torn mozzarella on top of the tomatoes.
- Next add some cherry tomatoes (fresh or roasted). Place a scattered amount around the top of the pizza, so that every slice will have a few tomatoes on it.
- Drizzle the pizza with about 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with about 1/2 tsp salt.
- Slide your pizza into the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling!
- Remove from the oven, garnish with fresh basil and serve.
Keywords: pizza using fresh tomatoes, margherita pizza, fresh tomato pizza, tomato pie, margherita pizza recipe, how to roast tomatoes for pizza